Shirley Porter, RP, RSW, CCC
Registered Social Worker
Certified Canadian Counselor
Area of Focus:
Working with adults (17 years +) from diverse populations who are dealing with:
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or Complex PTSD – Providing clients with education to understand and normalize their trauma responses, offering strategies to reduce and manage distress, and if the client wishes, helping them to process and release their trauma experiences.
- Crisis – Working to identify the nature of the crisis and immediately mobilize resources to support the individual.
- Chronic suicidality. Working with the client to identify the underlying causes of ongoing suicidal thoughts, addressing the source as well as any contributing factors, improving supports and distress tolerance strategies.
- Depressive and/or anxiety symptoms. Providing education to help clients understand the biological basis of their illness, mobilizing supports and resources, and working on improving distress tolerance strategies.
- Complicated Grief – Educating clients regarding normal versus complicated grief. Validating their reactions. Helping them to process any trauma which is blocking their recovery from grief.
- Relationship Issues – Focusing on identifying and setting healthy boundaries in relationships, and working with clients to develop effective communication strategies.
M.Ed., Counseling, Western University
B.A., Psychology, Western University